Education/experience: More than 50 years ago, I made a career choice to work in the education field as a teacher. Since that time I have served in the following areas of education:
• 38 years as a classroom teacher
• 22 years serving in state and local unions. During that time I worked, of course, for teacher compensation and working conditions, but I spent at least as much time working with management and staff in the promotion of teacher quality.
• After retirement from teaching, I was appointed by the governor to serve on the State Board of Education, a position I held until the board was disbanded in 2001.
• Following the demise of the state board, I served again by appointment of the governor, to serve on the Board of the Minnesota Academic Excellence Foundation, a position I held for eight years, two as board chair.
• I have served more than 12 years on the ISD 318 Board.
What would you bring to the school board that would contribute to the success of your school district?
A wealth of experience in the education field. Education is my passion, particularly working to promote the successful education of ISD 318 students to prepare them for productive lives in a competitive world.
What do you believe is the most important issue facing your schools? And what would you do about it?
ISD 318 is current;y facing an issue of inadequate, aging and outdated elementary facilities. With our growing student numbers, the district needs more classrooms that are appropriate for the provision for 21st Century education. A lack of sufficient number of classrooms limits our ability to reduce class size.
The schools belong to our community. The board will need to consult with the public to find a solution to this issue. Community input is essential in the process of developing adequate new facilities.