A bomb threat which caused the evacuation of the Grand Rapids K-Mart store Saturday afternoon appears to be similar to other threats made at other K-Mart stores throughout the country in recent days. The store was closed for approximately an hour while authorities searched the store, before allowing it to reopen.
Other K-Mart stores across the country have received similar threats, said Grand Rapids Police Chief Jim Denny.
An online search revealed many news stories within the last week about K-Mart bomb threats from several parts of the country, including Illinois, Connecticut, Nevada, Arizona, New Jersey and North Dakota. Some news stories reported that other retailers, such as Dollar General and Walgreens were also targeted.
Around 2:10 p.m. on Saturday, officers responded to the Grand Rapids K-Mart after the store received a phone call from an unknown individual claiming a bomb had been placed in the store. Denny said on Saturday that officers immediately closed the store, closed off access to the surrounding area and conducted a thorough search of the store. Approximately 10 people were evacuated from the store.
Nothing was found during the search, he said.
When reached by email for comment, Howard Riefs, director of corporate communications for Sears Holdings, which owns K-Mart, said to refer to local authorities for any further information about the bomb threats.
“We have no leads at this point,” said Denny, adding that officers are currently investigating phone records and hope to develop some sort of leads.
The police department is asking for the public’s help in investigating the threat, he said. Anyone who has any information about this incident is asked to contact the Grand Rapids Police Department at (218) 326-3464.